Do you think that you could be the next Alastair or Jonathan Brownlee, Non Stanford, Vicky Holland or Helen Jenkins? Perhaps you just want to swim, cycle and run but without stopping to have a shower or dry yourself off between each discipline….Well Triathlon could be just the sport for you.
For several years now Triathlon has grown in popularity at all levels with more and more finding out that Triathlon can be not just a way of getting fit but also having great fun. In particular more and more children are getting involved in the sport.
Triathlon is an exciting multisport event consisting of swimming, cycling an running continuously over various distances meaning your child will develop a good all round level of fitness as well as having fun in the training sessions. Triathlon is also one of the friendliest sports around as people across all abilities and all walks of life compete in races and join clubs such as Stratford Triathlon Club.
Here in the Junior Section of Stratford Triathlon Club we provide training to children between the ages of 8 (7 provided they are 8 in the calendar year) and 16, and pride ourselves on the enjoyment that the children have in being part of the Section. Our emphasis as a Club is on inclusion; therefore we welcome a range of abilities, however you do need to be able to swim 100m frontcrawl without stopping and have your own bike (and be able to ride it). Any child is welcome to come along and have a go at one of our training sessions.
Our training sessions are a mixture of swimming, cycling and running at venues in Stratford and Shipston with all training sessions run by qualified Triathlon England coaches.
NOTE: If you are already a member of Stratford Juniors AC you are free to come along to any of our sessioins. If you are new to the club but want to focus on triathlon, just contact us and we can let you ‘tri’ a couple of sessions to see how you get on.
Remember, you don’t have to be super fast, just come along and enjoy it and enter a few races as part of the Stratford on Avon Juniors!
The training sessions are as follows:-
- Thursday evening – Running (the athletics track at Stratford School). 6.00pm-7.00pm for 8-12 Year olds and 7.00pm-8.30pm for 13+
- Saturday morning
- 9.00am – 10.00am – Running (athletics track at Stratford School).
- 10.15am -11.45am Cycling/Transition (cycle track at the Home Guard Club Tiddington). SURFACE BEING RESURFACED – NO TRAINING YET!
- Saturday afternoon 2.30pm-4.00pm – Swimming (Shipston Leisure Centre)
- Sunday morning – Running (Welcombe Hills) 9.30am-10.30am.
Races and Events
For those that want to race we recommend participation in the West Midlands Series. This is a series of Triathlons, Aquathlons (swim/run) and Duathlons (run/bike/run) across the West Midland between March and September.
Any child over the age of 8 (age as at 31 December of current year) can enter into the local races, however, if you wish to compete in the race as part of the West Midlands Series 2019, there are a couple of changes:
- All juniors wishing to be included as part of the West Midlands Series MUST be a member of British Triathlon. To do this, follow this link
- There is a separate TS1 -TS3 AQUATHLON and TS1 -TS3 TRIATHLON/DUATHLON SERIES (you can enter both!) so those who prefer to swim/run have a separate series this year. Twice the opportunity! For the YOUTHS it is TRIATHLON/DUATHLON series only.
No Tristart age category for the series in 2018 (you can still compete in the races below, but there is no West Midlands Series for this age group)
For more information, visit the West Midlands Series page.
Some of our younger triathletes may be interested in representing the West Midlands in an inter-regional competition. Follow this link for more information Qualification for the IRC Regionals (TS2 & TS3 only).
The Age Groups are Tri Star Start (8 Years old), Tri Star 1 (9-10 Years old), Tri Star 2 (11-12 Years old), Tri Star 3 (13-14 Years old) and Youths (15-16 Years old). To compete you take your age at 31st December in the Year of Competition.
The majority of the events for Tri Star Start to TS3 take place on school playing fields where the bike and run are on grass, whereas some Youth events will involve a bike section on the road. The distances involved in the various Age Groups for a Triathlon are generally as follows:-
|Tri Star 1||150/200m||2/4 km||1.2/105 km|
|Tri Star 2||250/300m||4/6 km||1.8/2.0 km|
|Tri Star 3||300/350m||6/8 km||2.4/3.0 km|
|Youths||350/400m||8/10 km||4.0/5.0 km|
Junior Club Coaches:
|Head Coach and Chair||Richard Cox (Level 2 Tri Coach)|
|Coach||Andrew Speechly (Level 2 Tri Coach)|
|Coach||Mark Bullock (Level 1 Tri Coach)|
|Coach||Rebecca Pridham (Level 1 Tri Coach)|
|Coach||Paul Fines-Allin (Level 1 Tri Coach)|
All Coaches are experienced, qualifies and DBS/CRB checked.
What equipment is required for training?
- Clothing suitable for running & cycling outdoors in e.g. running trainers, t-shirt and shorts.
- Bike (any bike will do, it must road worthy with working brakes) and helmet (essential – no helmet – no training).
- Bottle of water & a light snack such as a cereal bar (if it is a long session).
- Sun cream/warm clothes/wet weather gear (it is the UK afterall!)
- Swim session – swim suit/trunks, goggles and some money for the locker (pull buoy and kick board if you have them – there are some at the pool).
Why not give it a go!
If you think that Triathlon might be for you then why not give it a go!
Contact Richard Cox at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any queries.
Events for Juniors organised by our Club
Stratford Junior Triathlon
FORMS (Downloadable documents for completion)